Recipe 1: Detangling Deep Conditioner for Natural Hair
This DIY recipe will help to greatly reduce the time you spend detangling. Avocado packs on the nutrition, while apple cider vinegar and shea butter help to detangle.
Grapeseed oil adds vitamin E and shine. The essential oils in this recipe will help to grow your hair and retain length.
Consider using this deep conditioner with a hooded dryer, especially if you have low porosity hair. Heat will help to open the cuticles and increase penetration into the hair shaft.
1 avocado pitted
1/4 cup grapeseed oil
1/2 cup shea or mango butter
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
5-15 drops peppermint, lavender, or rosemary essential oils
1. Place all ingredients in a blender and mix until smooth.
2. Pour the mixture into a container.
3. Part your hair into 4-6 sections and apply the conditioner.
4. Cover your hair with a plastic cap and let it sit 20-60 minutes.
5. Rinse and style.
6. Save and freeze any leftovers for the next wash day.
Recipe 2: Coconut Milk Deep Conditioner for Smoothing Curls & Reducing Shrinkage
Coconut milk is 3-4 times more beneficial for your hair than coconut oil. While both penetrate the shaft well, the milk contains water, electrolytes, protein and vitamins that the oil doesn’t have. Plus, the milk has moisturizing fat too.
So, why isn’t everybody using coconut milk instead of the oil? It may be because using the milk is more complicated and time-consuming. Plus, it goes rancid when not refrigerated. This means you have to rinse it out after application, unlike coconut oil which can be left in the hair for the entire week.
You’ll find that making a big batch of your DIY conditioners will save you time and energy. This recipe makes 4-5 servings. Separate and freeze the servings to use whenever you want.
1 can coconut milk
3 tablespoons honey
5-15 drops eucalyptus or rosemary essential oils
1. Pour coconut milk into a medium-sized bowl.
2. Stir in honey.
3. Add essential oils and mix well.
4. Divide the mixture into 4-5 servings, depending on the length of your hair.
5. Part your hair into 4-6 sections and apply the mixture to your scalp and hair.
6. Cover with a plastic cap for 30 minutes to 2 hours.
7. Rinse and style.